In the 19th century, corset dresses were a popular fashion trend among women. They were designed to cinch the waist and create an hourglass figure, and were often worn as undergarments. While corset dresses were initially only available in smaller sizes, the emergence of plus size fashion in the 20th century led to the creation of larger sizes.
The Influence of Hollywood and Pin-up Culture
During the 20th century, corset dresses became a staple in Hollywood and pin-up culture. Famous actresses like Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor were often seen wearing corset dresses, which only added to their popularity. However, as fashion trends evolved and women began to embrace more comfortable and casual clothing, corset dresses declined in popularity.
As fashion evolved, corset dresses became popular among plus size women who wanted to achieve a more curvaceous figure. These dresses featured a fitted bodice that was designed to cinch the waist, with a full skirt that flared out from the hips. This silhouette became a timeless classic that has remained popular to this day.
During the 1950s, the corset dress experienced a resurgence in popularity thanks to designers such as Christian Dior and Pierre Balmain. Their designs featured fitted bodices and full skirts, which accentuated the waist and hips. This style became a staple in the fashion industry and has been adapted into many different variations, including plus size corset dresses.
Today, plus size corset dresses are making a comeback. With a renewed focus on body positivity and diversity, fashion brands are creating corset dresses in a range of sizes to fit all body types. Plus size corset dresses are versatile and can be worn for a variety of occasions, from formal events to a night out with friends.
The history of plus size corset dresses is a fascinating one. From their origins as undergarments in the 19th century to their current status as a trendy and versatile fashion item, corset dresses have come a long way. With a focus on body positivity and diversity, plus size corset dresses are now available to women of all shapes and sizes.
The Timeless Elegance of Plus Size Corset Dresses
Plus size corset dresses have been around for centuries, and they continue to be a popular choice for women of all sizes today. The corset itself has a long and fascinating history, dating back to the 16th century, when it was worn as an undergarment to shape the torso and create an hourglass figure.
In modern times, plus size corset dresses have become a fashion statement, rather than a practical undergarment. They are designed to hug the curves and flatter the figure, creating a feminine silhouette that is both elegant and alluring. Many corset dresses come with a built-in bra or boning to provide additional support and shape to the bust and waist.
Variations of Plus Size Corset Dresses
Plus size corset dresses come in a variety of styles and designs, making them a popular choice for women of all shapes and sizes. Here are some of the most popular variations of plus size corset dresses:
- Victorian Corset Dress: This type of corset dress features a Victorian-style silhouette, with a fitted bodice and a flared skirt. It typically has a high neckline and long sleeves, and is often made from luxurious materials such as silk or velvet.
- Gothic Corset Dress: Gothic corset dresses feature a darker, edgier aesthetic, often incorporating black lace, fishnet, or leather accents. They may have a more fitted or structured silhouette, and can come in a variety of colors, including black, red, and purple.
- Steampunk Corset Dress: Steampunk corset dresses combine Victorian and industrial elements, often incorporating metal accents, gears, and other machinery-inspired details. They may have a more structured, tailored silhouette, and can come in a variety of earthy tones, such as brown, green, or bronze.
- Burlesque Corset Dress: Burlesque corset dresses are designed to be flirty and playful, often featuring playful embellishments like feathers, sequins, or fringe. They may have a more fitted silhouette, and can come in a variety of bright colors, such as pink, purple, or gold.
- Renaissance Corset Dress: Renaissance corset dresses feature a classic, elegant style inspired by the Renaissance period. They often have a more flowing, voluminous skirt, and may feature intricate embroidery or lace details.
No matter which style you choose, a plus size corset dress is a versatile and stylish addition to any wardrobe.
Tips for Wearing Plus Size Corset Dresses
Plus size corset dresses are a bold and fashionable choice for curvy women. They can help to accentuate your curves and create a flattering silhouette. However, wearing a corset dress can be a bit intimidating if you’ve never worn one before. Here are some tips to help you rock your plus size corset dress with confidence:
- Choose the right size: It’s essential to select a corset dress that fits you properly. If it’s too small, it can be uncomfortable and even dangerous. If it’s too big, it won’t be as effective in creating the desired hourglass shape. Be sure to measure yourself and refer to the size chart before making your purchase.
- Invest in quality shapewear: Shapewear can help to smooth out any bumps or lumps, creating a seamless and streamlined look. It’s important to invest in high-quality shapewear that fits you properly and doesn’t roll down or bunch up.
- Consider the occasion: Plus size corset dresses come in various styles, from casual to formal. Consider the event you’ll be attending and choose a dress that’s appropriate for the occasion. You don’t want to show up to a casual brunch in an evening gown!
- Accessorize wisely: Corset dresses already make a statement, so it’s best to keep accessories to a minimum. A simple pair of earrings and a bracelet can be all you need to complete the look.
- Practice good posture: Corset dresses can be tight and restrictive, so it’s essential to maintain good posture to avoid discomfort and promote proper breathing. Stand up straight, shoulders back, and head held high!
Wearing a plus size corset dress can be a fun and empowering experience. By following these tips, you can rock your corset dress with confidence and style.
Where to Find
If you’re on the hunt for the perfect plus size corset dress, look no further than Fashion Bug! With their selection of stylish and flattering designs, Fashion Bug has become a go-to destination for women seeking plus size clothing options.
When shopping for a plus size corset dress, it’s important to pay attention to sizing and fit. Make sure to measure yourself carefully and refer to the retailer’s size chart before making a purchase. Some retailers may offer specific sizing recommendations or have fit experts available to help with any questions or concerns.
With a little research and some trial and error, you’re sure to find the perfect plus size corset dress to flatter your figure and boost your confidence. And with options available from Fashion Bug and other retailers, there’s no need to compromise on style or quality.